General Custer

In an effort to embrace our time in Arizona I bought the PBS series, "The Way West." It became our history lesson during the 30-minute drive to the pool each day. The stories of tragedy and loss were painful. One story stood out. The Battle of Little Big Horn and Custer's Last Stand. General Custer went into that battle despite the counsel of two Native American scouts. They knew the lay of the land. They knew the signs. There was no way Custer and his troops could win. Then came these words from the biographer:

"General Custer believed the story he had developed for himself."

Custer was writing his own story. He was unwilling to listen to those who knew better and lost his life because of it. The soldiers under his command did as well.

I didn't realize it, but I was writing my own story before our tragedy. Nothing was going to deter me. It was a good script. Security for the kids. A life full of friends and activities. A warm, safe home. In my mind, we were going to grow old in that home. Stay until we couldn't climb the stairs.

On October 4th, 2008, two scouts told us that danger loomed. That lives could be lost. It wasn't easy to listen. Everything in me wanted to believe my story and grow old in our home.

Next time I'm going to publish an interview I did with one of our scouts. Maybe someone else needs to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment