A New Chapter

It's hard to believe it's 9/11. 8 years. I was holding Brandon in my arms in our living room, in shock and disbelief.

It was two years ago on 9/11 that Reagan called from school to say his ear was ringing. His tinnitus soon turned into vertigo and vomiting. Within two months we were carrying him to the bathroom.

Today on 9/11 we are faced with a new crisis. We heard late yesterday that our mold levels are elevated in this house. We don't know what type of mold is haunting us; we just know it's hindering our recovery. We also know that it's not limited to one bathroom.

The levels don't come close to our Colorado house. In fact most people would do fine in this house. At least for a while. But we can't afford to stay.

And so we begin a new chapter. The search for a new safe house. We've learned some important lessons. Experience seems to be the best teacher when it comes to toxic mold and its resulting health issues.

I think of the family members who lost loved ones in the 9/11 tragedy. I imagine that in some ways 8 years feels like a blink. One day it will be like that for our family. Today I'm going to lean on this verse:

"For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory" (2 Cor. 4:17)

Last night the 11 of us sat in a circle and held hands. We haven't all been together since the tragedy began two years ago. As I listened to each one pray I knew without a doubt that we'll get through it. I believe with all my heart there's something bigger about every story. Including ours. And this new chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment