We have followed an anti-fungal diet to varying degrees since beginning our recovery. The diet purported by Doug Kaufmann has proven to be the most comprehensive and helpful. I plan to share more about our journey with this aspect of treatment, but for now I thought some may benefit from this series of questions compiled by Kaufmann and Dr. David Holland.
The questionnaire (51 questions in all) "is used to assess the degree to which patients may have been exposed to fungi, and the odds that the microbes or mycotoxins lie behind a given problem" (from the book "Eating Your Way to Good Health").
1. At any time in your life, have you taken repeated or prolonged rounds of antibiotics?
2. At any time in your life, have you taken repeated or prolonged courses of steroids or cortisone-based pills?
3. Have you been diagnosed with fibromyalgia?
4. Do you have, or have you ever had asthma?
5. Do you have diabetes? Type 1 or Type 2?
6. At any time in your life, have you been treated for worms or parasites?
7. Have you traveled outside of the U.S.?
8. Have you had ringworm, nail fungus?
9. Have you ever been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD?
10. Had you spent time in or near construction sites when you became ill?
11. Are you bothered by recurring problems with your digestive tract?
12. Does your health problem get worse in response to heat?
13. Do your inner ears itch?
14. Does your vision blur for no apparent reason?
15. Do you have acne?
16. Has your home or office ever had a mold problem?
17. Do your symptoms worsen on damp days, or when you spend time in musty/moldy environments?
18. Are you allergic to any foods?
19. Do you have itching, tingling, or burning skin?
20. Do you have hives, psoriasis, dandruff, or chronic skin rashes?
Collectively, our family scores a 20 out of 20. If just one of the 30 doctors who saw us during the height of our exposure would have suggested a link with the fungus and mycotoxins, it would have altered our course dramatically.
Environment is only one means of exposure. According to Kaufmann, foods such as corn, wheat, and peanuts are commonly contaminated with mycotoxins.
For more information on the Anti-Fungal Diet, see Doug Kaufmann's website Know the Cause.
- ► 2011 (436)
- ► 2010 (275)
- Lightening the Load
- Up-Hill Climb
- Fungal Questionnaire II
- The Hippocratic Oath
- Fungus Questionnaire
- Continuing Education
- Ant Update
- Ant Traps
- Thoughts for Friends and Family Members
- We're In!
- Move Update
- Mold in Schools
- Time to Move
- Internal Dampness
- WHO Guidelines on Indoor Air Quality
- Happy Birthday, Meg
- Encouragement for the Helpless
- ▼ August (18)