Healing as a Lifestyle

Healing is a matter of time,
but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.

– Hippocrates

Once I began to understand that detoxification is a lifelong process, I slowly integrated detoxifying regimens into my daily life. Here is my typical morning routine.

1. Air Mattress

My day begins by finding the floor at the foot of our air mattress. We still sleep on an air mattress—partly because an air mattress is so simple and cheap, and partly because it works so well. My sleep has been much deeper since sleeping on the floor. There is a theory that sleeping closer to the ground helps the body recover its natural electrical balance. Click here to read more about the principle of grounding. I also recommend this article on the subject.

2. Bentonite Clay

Upon awakening, I drink a teaspoon of bentonite clay mixed with water. Bentonite clay has a pH of 9.7 and, according to an article titled How Healing Clay Works, is a powerful detoxifier:

Bentonite clay molecules carry a negative electrical charge while toxins, bacteria, viruses, parasites and other impurities carry a positive charge. When the clay is taken into the human body, the positively charged toxins are attracted to the negatively charged surfaces of the clay molecule. The clay molecule acts like a magnet, attracting and holding the toxins and impurities to its surface, and removing them when the clay is removed or expelled.

For sources of clay, click here.

3. Oil Pulling

Then, I oil pull. This is a simple detoxification tool requiring an organic oil such as sesame or coconut. For instructions, click here. Since I began oil pulling, my teeth and gums feel stronger and healthier.

4. Neti Pot

I don't do this every day, but when I do, I'm glad. Nasal irrigation is another age-old remedy for general health, not just sinus health. The most efficient and hygienic option, in my opinion, is this stainless steel neti pot.

My favorite recipe:

8 c. distilled water
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tbsp. sea salt
10 drops grapefruit seed extract

Shake before each use.

For a list of the many health benefits of nasal irrigation, click here.

5. Coffee Enema

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd look forward to such a thing, but this is by far the highlight of my morning.

I first began to consider enemas when I read Hippocrates' quote, "An enema is better than herbs or laxatives." Upon reading that simple sentence, something clicked. Relieving the digestive tract of toxins and waste made sense. Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, founder of the GAPS diet, encourages enemas as a means of detoxifying.

The more I researched enemas, the more I kept being drawn to coffee enemas in particular. The fact that the coffee stimulates the activity of glutathione S-transferase solidified my decision to try it.

According to the Gerson Institute:

The coffee enema has a very specific purpose: lowering serum toxins. Coffee enemas have a definite effect on the colon which can be observed with an endoscope. The palmitic acid found in coffee promotes the activity of glutathione S-transferase and other ligands many times above the norm. It is this enzyme group that is responsible primarily for the conjugation of free electrophile radicals which the gall bladder will then release.

Next to mold avoidance and diet, coffee enemas have changed my life. Watch for my next post: A Candid Colon-Cleansing Conversation!

6. Skin Brushing

Skin brushing comes next. This is a very simple and straightforward addition to any health routine. The skin is responsible for 1/4 of our detoxification each day and is often deemed "the third kidney." This is a simple way to stimulate the lymphatic system, which in turn boosts the immune system. For simple directions, click here.

7. Natural Hair and Body Care

Shower time. I stopped using shampoo more than a year ago. Rhassoul clay makes a wonderful, completely natural hair-cleansing product. (See this previous post.)

I’ve been using rhassoul clay for more than a year now and have noticed an improvement with the issue of hair loss. Two of my daughters have reported similar results. I follow my clay treatment with a rinse with coffee grounds. My hair is slightly darker because of this treatment—an unexpected benefit!

Charcoal soap works well as a body cleanser. The website Buy Activated Charcoal offers these charcoal soaps.

As for deodorant, I prefer not to impede the sweating process, but if needed I will use a formula I made myself based on this recipe, adding several drops of lavender essential oil.

I spend at least 10 minutes on my teeth. After three crowns and nearly 10 mercury filling removals this last year, I am determined not to find myself back in a dentist's chair if I can help it. I make my own toothpaste using this recipe.

8. Lotion

After my shower, I apply kefir lotion. I make this myself. I make extra strong kefir with raw cream, allowing for a 48-hour fermentation. I combine 2 tbsp. of kefir with several drops of essential oil for an excellent moisturizer. Kefir contains alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA), which reduces signs of aging. It is also a form of lactic acid which dissolves lipids, helping to remove dead skin cells. My skin has never felt softer since introducing kefir.

9. Breakfast

Breakfast was once a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee. Now I eat as many nutrient-dense foods as I can and abstain from the coffee. (This article listing coffee as a cross-reactive food with gluten validates this decision.)


  • Kefir grains
    The first thing I consume is 1-2 teaspoons of kefir grains. The grains re-populate the digestive tract with the good bacteria needed to heal the gut and therefore the body. It's a strong healing food and must be added slowly. Consuming kefir grains on an empty stomach is an effective means of ingesting probiotics.


  • Garlic
    Next, I go for the garlic. I peel and crush three cloves, then take with water. When time allows, I ferment a jar of garlic cloves, which allows me to simply pop a clove like a pill from the jar, instead of having to peel and crush them. A study conducted at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle found that eating a teaspoon of fresh garlic and a half cup of onions per day increases the levels of a key enzyme for removing toxins in the blood cells of healthy women. Men require a larger dose, according to the authors. For more on this study, click here.


  • Raw liver
    Following the garlic, I take a cube of "liver ice" out of the freezer, cut it into little pieces, and swallow each like a pill. Grass-fed beef is critical for this. I choose meat that is raised locally with no added hormones or drugs of any kind. I thaw the raw liver, process in a food processor, pour into ice cube trays, and re-freeze. I take my liver pills just as I would any other supplement. Gram for gram, liver contains more nutrients than any other food: vitamin A, all of the B vitamins, particularly B12 (if consumed raw), folic acid, copper, CoQ10 (if consumed raw), and much more. For detailed information on the health benefits of eating liver, see this article. If I miss the raw liver, I feel it!


  • Raw egg yolks
    I cook three eggs sunny-side up. If I miss this, I become ravenous within an hour. Free-range, organic pasteurized eggs are crucial for this. I lightly cook three eggs in animal fat, leaving the yolks raw. Raw eggs contain an abundance of vital substances including protein and essential fatty acids, along with niacin, riboflavin, biotin, choline, vitamins A, D, and E, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, iron, iodine, copper, zinc, and sulfur. Egg yolks are one of the few foods that contain vitamin D. For an interesting article on the health benefits of raw egg yolks, click here.


  • Green juice
    Finally, I wash the morning down with a glass of raw green juice—refreshing and energizing. Romaine lettuce makes up the bulk of our green juices. I try to rotate greens, adding in chard, kale, or wheatgrass when available. I generally avoid spinach because of the high oxalate level, although moderation and variety seem to be the key. Here is an interesting article addressing the issue of oxalates.

The entire routine takes approximately 90 minutes, all done in the comfort of my own home. Just as Hippocrates said, healing is an opportunity. For me, an opportunity to take charge of my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive